Spanish Teacher, K-5
Spanish Teacher, K-5
About Our School
Free Union Country School (preschool through fifth grade) is in Albemarle County, VA, just 15 minutes outside of Charlottesville. We are a community where learning is valued for children and adults, individuals are respected, diversity is understood as a strength, and teamwork is essential. Children possess an intrinsic and deep love of learning. It is our job to create an environment that supports intellectual curiosity, creativity, self-confidence, kindness, and respect. To this end, we use experiential, inquiry-based, and collaborative methods of teaching with attention given to academic and social development.
The Spanish program at Free Union Country School enables elementary students to develop conversational skills and cultural awareness through the study of a world language. The Spanish teacher provides twice weekly instruction to students, utilizing a spiral curriculum and varied instructional strategies to engage learners. The Spanish teacher also collaborates with classroom teachers to enhance relevant unit studies and other classroom activities, and provides opportunities for students to demonstrate their growing language skills and cultural awareness.
Qualities We Seek
- A love of teaching and a commitment to learning
- An ability to inspire children
- A sense of caring and respect for children, families, colleagues, and community
- Evidence of a child-centered approach to teaching and learning
- Ability to work independently as an integral member of a team
- Ability to develop age-appropriate plans for instruction
- Understanding of positive discipline
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in Spanish
- Teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Understanding of the tenets of progressive education
- Training in Responsive Classroom
- Job will be posted until filled
- Start date: August 21, 2017
- Hours: Part time, approximately 10-12 hours/week
How to Apply
- Letter of Application addressed to ElizaBeth McCay, Head of School
- Brief Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Contact information for three professional references
Equal Opportunity Employer
Free Union Country School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or national or ethnic origin in its staffing, admissions, tuition assistance, educational policies, and extracurricular or other programs.
Please feel free to complete the following information, attach your cover letter and résumé, and click Submit below. Thank you for your interest in Free Union Country School!